MA International Relations – FAQ

How do I submit my application?

Applications are submitted through an online application system. For more information see here.

Is there a tuition fee?


Is there an application fee?


Are there other costs?

Yes. Every semester students have to pay a university fee (Semesterbeitrag). Currently, it amounts to 320 €. The university fee covers the costs for the so-called semester ticket, which allows you to use public transport in Bremen and the Northwest of Germany for free (or rather at no additional cost).

(Note that this information is for students starting their studies in 2017, when the administration of the program will move to the University of Bremen. For ongoing students, including those belonging to the 2016-2018 cohort, the current regulations will stay in place: Upon admission, students have to pay a one-time enrollment deposit of 500 €. In addition, they have to pay for the semester ticket as well as a university fee of 60 € per semester. More information can be found at the Students Records Office of Jacobs University Bremen.)

I do not have a degree in international relations or political science. Am I eligible to apply?

We primarily admit students with a first degree in international relations, political science, or sociology. However, students coming from other disciplines are welcome to apply, if their previous education is closely related to these subject areas and constitutes a solid preparation for our program.

I will graduate after the application deadline. May I apply anyway?

Yes. Instead of the diploma, you may upload an official transcript listing your grades and the courses you have taken so far.

May I send my proof of English proficiency after the application deadline?

No, it is your responsibility to obtain your test results in time.

Are scholarships available?

Jacobs University and the University of Bremen do not provide scholarships for graduate students. However, there are several external funding resources. Please see here for more information.

Where will classes be held?

Classes will be held at Jacobs University and at the University of Bremen (50/50).

Is there an age limit for applicants?


I am not a citizen of the European Union. May I apply anyway?

Yes, the program is open to students from all over the world.

Is proficiency in German a requirement?

No, the program is entirely taught in English. However, proficiency in German is of course useful for everyday life in Bremen.

Are language courses available?

Yes, students of the MA International Relations are welcome to take language courses in German, French and Spanish at Jacobs University or the University of Bremen. For more information see here and here.

When will applicants be informed about their admission?

We will will make every effort to inform you about our decision within eight weeks after the application deadline.

When should I apply for my visa?

Immediately after admission. Acquiring a visa sometimes takes a very long time and you may run into unexpected difficulties.

Are student jobs available?

Jobs on campus are available for a limited number of students.

May I attend a seminar even though I am not enrolled in the program?

Students from other programs at Jacobs University or University of Bremen may attend individual seminars, provided they seek and obtain the prior consent by the respective course instructor. The same holds for exchange and guest students.

How can I contact you?

For further questions regarding admissions and program requirements, please contact us via